Thursday, March 6, 2008

Retro Movie Review: Blade Runner (1982)


Have you ever wondered what sort of future we'd have in store for us if Atari and Pan Am Airlines were still leading, corporate juggernauts and Japan had such a profound impact on the world-culture that even billboards in the U-S-of-A bore Japanese characters? Well...I guess that's one thing we have in common. As we grow increasingly nearer to the year 2019, Blade Runner becomes more of an "alternate universe" rather than the impending, apocalyptic cesspool that the film portrays.

Few films elicitic such polar responses as Ridley Scott's sci-fi, neo-noir creation, Blade Runner. People tend to either HATE the film...or it is an immediate favorite. As a card-carrying sci-fi fan, I'm prepared to offer the film up for canonization into "Science Fiction Sainthood", but I am fully aware that some people might openly disagree. Like black coffee or a pint of Guiness, this film is definitely an acquired taste.

As aforementioned, the film is set in Los Angeles of 2019. The world is a mess and is plagued with overcrowding and acid rain. In this dismal look into the psuedo-future, humanity has created androids called Replicants (who are indistinguishable from humans) to do dangerous and menial work on "off-planet colonies". Since a rebellious uprising, all Replicants are illegal on Earth. To deal with the Replicant population hiding out as regular human beings, a special division of the police was created known as the "Blade Runners". Harrison Ford plays Richard Deckard, a semi-retired "runner", that has been brought in to handle one last case of particularly dangerous Replicants operating within the city.

In addition to Harrison Ford, the film also features Rutger Hauer as a Replicant leader and Sean Young (who is typically too weird for reason) as the sexy, replicant, love interest of Ford's character. Overall, the cast seems appropriate, and most (if not all) actors turn in decent performances.

The real masterpiece of this film is the world Ridley Scott manages to create via the crude celluloid. Vibrant color contrasts beautifully with the dinge that coats building and street. The environments are visually immersive as every last detail (whether costume or street sign) has received meticulous attention.
I happen to love Blade Runner, but it is difficult to make a recommendation to certain audiences. Kids should definitely stay away as there is some violent imagery, and I would wager that only those adults with a proven sci-fi track-record will enjoy this film to the fullest extent. It is definitely a "thinker", and should be approached with this in mind. However, if you are feeling adventurous, give this film a shot. It should be readily available for purchase/rent as last year was its 25th anniversay.

Let's face the facts people....I'm weird, and I like weird movies. Shakespeare said, "To thine own self be true," and I feel like I have a rather healthy grasp on my own personality. Given my description, you probably already know if you'll dig this film. Thus, don't come crying to me, "Evan, I hated that dumb movie! You made me miss Kid Nation!" I only give my honest opinion of these films...I mean...it's all I can do...right?????right???

No comments: